The trend toward minimalist interiors is I hope on the wane, with the pendulum swinging back to that of warmth and comfort … rooms that are inviting, lived in and have real character. Let your possessions provide the detail.
1. Display and use on a daily basis inherited pieces such as pretty porcelain or silver. Don’t just store it in the attic or at the back of a cupboard.
2. Visit antique shops and markets to keep your eye out for vintage finds … baskets, picture frames or collections of glass bottles to use as vases.
3. Collections of new or old books add character to any interior … either in bookshelves or piles on coffee tables. You can go a step further by displaying them by colour.
4. Antique timber furniture of any period will always add warmth and texture. Often only one or two pieces are needed to make the difference in a very modern interior.
5. Choose a classic piece of antique furniture and recover it in a modern fabric.
It is the combination of old and new that gives character … and it should be constantly evolving not created in a few weeks.