Of all the rooms in a house the bedroom is possibly the most important … it is where we spend half our life !!!
1. A good mattress is essential to ensure a restful night’s sleep. The very best mattresses support our spines in their natural, neutral position. The latest technology allows the mattress springs to mould to the shape of our body.
2. Mattress toppers are becoming extremely popular … they add an additional layer of padding and comfort, particularly good where the mattress itself is too firm. Reversible toppers with wool fleece for autumn and winter … and cotton percale to keep you cool in spring and summer, are the ultimate.
3. Choice of pillow is critical to a good night’s sleep. The right choice depends on a number of factors including neck problems, allergies (non allergenic filling choices)and preference for firm or soft, one or two pillows. How soft or firm your pillow feels is determined by the ratio of feather to down used … feather being firm and down being soft.
4. Beautiful bedlinen is a luxury and you really do get what you pay for. Thread count (number of threads in a square inch of fabric) isn’t everything and other factors such as the quality of the raw cotton (firmness of yarn) and the way threads are woven comes into play. I love the softness and elegance of Cotton Sateen without the expense of Egyptian Cotton.
5. Your choice of Doona/Duvet is all to do with weight and seasons/climate, however your first choice is natural or non allergenic filling. The right choice of doona weight for your particular climate is essential to a good nights sleep. The weight of doona for a cool climate will be vastly different to that where winters are mild. Down doonas trap more air between clusters than feather fillings and are therefore warmer and incredibly light. The greater the percentage of down and the higher the quality of the down, the more you pay.
Yes, lots to think about … however worth spending a little time to get it right.