1. Using the same floor material or shade of flooring throughout will unify your spaces and create the illusion of space.
2. Keep your colour scheme simple and calm. Again, use of the same colours throughout will unify and magnify the space.
3. Storage is critical in small apartments/rooms. Create additional storage and bookshelves where possible by boxing out recesses. Clutter makes a room appear smaller. Disguise doors to storage cupboards where you can. Split a door into a pair of doors which intrude less into the space.
4. Choose furniture which is both moveable and multi-functional. Combine a couple of feature pieces with other furniture that recedes or blends with the wall colour. Avoid too many contrasts and patterns in a small room. Surprisingly, an oversized picture or piece of furniture can create impact along with the feeling of grandeur.
5. The tried and true use of mirrors and even better mirrored walls, always works a treat in small spaces. Try mirrored splashbacks in the kitchen to introduce light and expand the space. Allow for maximum flexibility with your lighting. Dimmers on all switches will allow for that ever important change of mood and focus.